Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 50 Mins
Total Time: 1 Hrs 5 Mins
1 tbsp butter
½ chopped onion
¼ cup of melted butter
¼ cup of flour
2 cups of milk
2 cups of chicken stock
1½ cups of coarsely chopped broccoli florets
1 cup of matchstick-cut carrots
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
2 ½ cups of shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Dissolve the butter in a pan over medium-high heat, then sauté the onions until they are transparent. It
might take up to five minutes. Take off from the heat and set aside when done.
2. Cooking over medium-low heat, combine ¼ cup of melted butter with the flour in a large saucepan.
3. Add 1-3 tsp of milk to prevent burning while cooking until the flour is smooth and no longer gritty. It could take 3 to 4 minutes.
4. While continually whisking, slowly add the remaining milk to the flour and butter mixture.
5. As the pot comes to a boil, stir in the chicken stock.
6. After that, cook mixture until it has thickened for around 20 minutes.
7. To the thickened soup, add the broccoli, carrots, sautéed onion, and celery. Simmer until the veggies are
fork-tender. Up to 20 minutes may pass during this.
8. Add the cheese shreds and stir until the cheese is melted.
9. To taste, add salt and pepper.