Prep Time: 10 Mins
Cook Time: 3 Hrs 50 Mins
Total Time: 4 Hr
Chicken And Dumplings Ingredients
1 large fryer chicken
1 large peeled onion, cut in half
3 carrots, large-sized slices
3 celery stalks, chopped into big chunks
Salt to taste
pepper to taste
Copycat Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings
3 cups of flour
¾ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
4 ½ tbsp. shortening
1 cup of milk
1. Discard the gizzards and chicken neck. Place the chicken, carrots, celery, onions, and water in a big stock
pot. Get the water boiling, then turn it down to a low simmer.
2. Cook chicken for 1-2 hours.
3. After that, combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. To make the mixture resemble little peas, use
your fingertips to blend in the shortening. You might not need a whole cup of milk; instead, add a quarter
cup at a time.
4. Making sure not to overmix, stir until a dough ball barely starts to form. Then roll on a floured surface to a
thickness of about ¼ inch.
5. Cut dough into rectangles that are approximately 1 inch wide by 2 inches long using a pizza cutter. Put the
strips on the floured baking sheet and let them dry for at least 30 minutes or perhaps for many hours.
6. Next, remove cooked chicken from the broth and let it to cool. Split the chicken in half lengthwise, remove
the skin and bones, and shred the meat into bite-sized pieces.
7. Discarding the veggies, pour the chicken broth through a fine mesh sieve coated with a coffee filter.
Reserving 6 cups of the broth for the dumplings is essential.
8. Now keep leftovers in the fridge or freezer to use in another dish.
9. Slowly boil the broth with the dumplings in a large saucepan over medium heat.
10. Cook for 7–10 minutes with the lid on.
11. Add chicken and lower the heat to low.
12. Cook for 20-30 minutes until mixture thickens.
13. Liberally season with salt and pepper.